Thursday, February 6, 2014

Snagit vs. Camtasia

In our Sandbox, we have both Snagit and Camtasia. What are they used for? And, what's the
Snagit and Camstasia Studio
difference? 

I found this explanation by TechSmith's Mike Curtis very helpful:

I prefer to use Snagit when...
1. I am making a handout and need some images or examples.

2. Whenever I need to edit or annotate an image. For example, I recently cropped and scaled a logo for a PowerPoint presentation.

3. I am making a "disposable" video. These videos tend to be short and have a short shelf life. Snagit can't edit video, but when the audience is just a few people who are looking for a quick answer, I often don't choose to invest the time using Camtasia to make a more polished video.

4. Snagit has a batch conversion tool that lets you process a folder full of images all at once. This is great when you need to turn a bunch of SNAG images into PNGs or perhaps you need grayscale images instead of your color ones.

5. Anytime I need to make a rough mockup.

6. Here's a little-known or under appreciated trait regarding Snagit video. Like Jing, Snagit records and prepares the video in real time. This means that if you need to make a one minute video, it will take you almost exactly one minute. Most video creation software, (like Camtasia Studio) will have to render (produce) your video. So, creating a one minute video might take 3 minutes. (It's hard to say exactly, as it depends on content recorded, size, etc.) It might not seem like a huge difference, but for recording and sharing informal videos in the speediest way possible, Snagit takes the title.

7. I often include annotated images in emails.

8. I use Snagit whenever I have to give feedback to a colleague. I'm probably 50/50 on whether I uses images or videos depending on the type of deliverable I am reviewing. I like how I can easily "flip" between images and video.

Here's a list with some examples of people using Snagit for various purposes: http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-sna...

I prefer to use Camtasia Studio when...
1. The highest quality video is most important to me. (Higher frame rate, compression and production options, robust editing so I can smooth over my mistakes.)

2. I have a specific audience and I want control (or multiple types) of video formats and dimensions. For example, I want to have a video optimized for mobile delivery.

3. The video will be around for a long time and seen by many people. Therefore I'd like for it to be as professional as possible.

4. I need to record system audio (the sound from my computer) or need editable or the highest quality audio as possible. Or, I want to add music to the video.

5. I need the cursor and keystroke data captured in the Camtasia Studio Camrec file.

6. I would like to have some title/intro as well as some zooms, cuts and maybe some clip speed so I can speed up the slow parts for the viewer.

7. I would like to incorporate non-screen content. For example, live video from a Flip cam.

8. I would like webcam or Picture in Picture

9. I am making a long (10 minute +) video. The reason I use Camtasia for these are that I know I'm probably going to make substantial mistakes during my 10 minute investment in the recording. With Camtasia Studio, I can still recover and not have to do another take. Also, real-time encoding like you have in Snagit is really computer-intensive, so I'm not sure what kind of computer you have, but I find the longer I record the more likely my computer gets a little sluggish.


No comments:

Post a Comment